How is my time loss compensation calculated?

Your monthly wages at the time of the injury determine your time loss rate. Wages can include room and board, income from a second job or self-employment, tips, bonuses and overtime, if you work overtime on a regular basis. For part-time, seasonal, or intermittent workers, the Department averages wages from all employment over the 12 months prior to the date of injury. Wages should also include the cost of employer-paid medical, dental and vision insurance premiums, but not employer contributions to any retirement plan.

Once your monthly wages are determined, the Department of Labor & Industries pays a percentage of those monthly wages as follows: single workers — 60 percent; married workers — 65 percent; for each child born or conceived prior to the date of injury — 2 percent. The maximum payable by law is 80 percent of your monthly wage.

It is very important to watch for an order from the Department of Labor & Industries setting wages on a claim. If the wages and benefits listed in the Department's wage order are incorrect, mail a written protest to that order within 60 days. Without the written and mailed protest to the Department, the incorrect wages listed on that order will impact time loss or pension benefits for the life of the claim.