Skip to Main Content

Were You Hurt While Working at the University of Washington? Your Guide to Protecting Your Rights

Located in the heart of northeast Seattle, the University of Washington is one of the largest public research universities in the country. With an annual enrollment exceeding 46,000, the University of Washington has nearly 6,000 academic faculty and 17,000 administrative staff members. As with any other workplace setting, accidents can and do happen at the University of Washington. Employees need to know how to protect their rights.

At The Walthew Law Firm, our top-rated Seattle workers’ compensation lawyers have the skills and experience required to provide the best legal representation to injured workers. If you or your loved one was injured in an accident while working at the University of Washington, whether at the Seattle campus, the Bothell campus, or the Tacoma campus, we are here to help. For a free workers’ compensation case evaluation, please do not hesitate to contact our law firm today.

Four Important Aspects of UW Workers’ Compensation

  1. The UW Workers’ Compensation Program is Insured Through the Department of Labor & Industries (L&I) 

University of Washington employees are insured through the workers’ compensation program established by the State of Washington. This program is managed by the Washington State Department of Labor & Industries (L&I). As such, L&I handles all workers’ compensation claims involving injured UW employees. Notably — per Administrative Policy Statement 14.1 — all UW workers are covered by workers’ compensation insurance, including faculty members, administrative staff, and volunteers.

  1. Workers Should Report the Incident to the University

Under L&I regulations, work-related injuries and occupational diseases should be reported to employers. Injured workers need to be sure to report their injury or illness without unreasonable delay. The University of Washington states that injuries should be reported within 24 hours.

Campus and non-medical center employees are instructed to use the Online Accident Reporting System (OARS). To access this system, you will need to sign in with your University of Washington login credentials.

Injured medical center workers should file their incident report by reaching out to their Employee Health and Safety Clinic. If you have any questions or concerns about reporting your injury or occupational illness, please contact an experienced Seattle workers’ compensation lawyer. Your lawyer will get you answers. 

  1. You Must File a Workers’ Compensation Claim

To obtain medical coverage, wage loss compensation, or disability benefits, you must file a workers’ compensation claim. Reporting your injuries or work-related illness to the University of Washington is not the same thing as filing a workers’ compensation claim. Though that is a necessary step, reporting the incident will not initiate the workers’ compensation claims process. When UW employees fill out their claim, they should write the following in the section that calls for employer/business:

University of Washington
Claim Services
Box 354964
Seattle, Washington 98195-4964

If you were injured on the job while working at the University of Washington, you have one year to submit your workers’ compensation claim, but you should initiate the process as soon as possible. If you have any questions or concerns about filing a claim, a local attorney can assist you. In the unfortunate event that your workers’ compensation claim is denied, you should contact a workers’ compensation attorney in Seattle immediately.

  1. You are Entitled to Medical Care that is Reasonable and Necessary 

If you were injured on the job, it is imperative that you seek immediate medical attention. Nothing should come before your health and safety. Under the UW workers’ compensation program, coverage is provided for all related medical care that is reasonable and necessary. Further, under state regulations, injured workers have a right to select their own healthcare provider.

It should be noted that you have the right to seek medical treatment at Harborview Medical Center and all related entities. Harborview is managed by the University of Washington. Understandably, workers may be worried that this relationship could impact their care. Under federal and state regulations, UW is prohibited from unauthorized access of your health information.

Get Help From Our Seattle Workers’ Compensation Lawyers Today

At The Walthew Law Firm, our Washington work injury attorneys are strong advocates for injured workers. If you or your family member was hurt in an accident while working at the University of Washington, we can help. For a free, no strings attached case evaluation, please contact our Seattle law office today at (206) 539-1929 or email us directly through our website.

Call us today.
Offices in Seattle and Everett.

Talk to an attorney to get free advice about your claim.


Mailing Address
PO Box 34645
Seattle, WA 98124-1645
*Packages and overnight deliveries should be shipped to the Seattle physical address.

Seattle Office
3000 1st Avenue
Seattle, WA 98121

Everett Office
2906 Colby Ave | Suite 101
Everett, WA 98201

Request an appointment

Schedule a free consultation >