Skip to Main Content

You have the right to choose your own doctor. That doctor, however, has to be part of the Department of Labor & Industries’ Provider Network. Make sure when you see a doctor for treatment related to your workers’ compensation claim that he or she is part of the Provider Network. If not, you will need to find another doctor.

Who can treat you? A medical doctor, osteopath, chiropractor, advance registered nurse practitioner (ARNP), psychiatrist, dentist, naturopath or podiatrist can act as your attending provider so long as he or she is part of the Department’s Provider Network. You can also treat with a physical therapist, psychologist, occupational therapist or other such provider, but he or she cannot certify time loss compensation for you. The Department will not pay for acupuncture or visits with a mental health therapist (MSW).

You can receive treatment only for medical conditions related to your industrial injury or occupational disease claim. Sometimes the Department will allow limited treatment for an unrelated condition. You may receive “aid to recovery” treatment if the unrelated condition prevents treatment for the accepted condition. An example would be payment for medication for high blood pressure if that condition prevents surgery for the accepted condition under a claim.

Suppose you develop a new condition on your claim. You have a serious back injury, your life is turned upside down, and you develop depression. If your treating doctor says that a cause of your depression was your industrial injury, then depression should be allowed under your claim. The Department frequently denies the new condition, saying that it pre-existed or is unrelated. No reason is given; the Department can just issue an order denying a condition.

Treatment for your accepted conditions under the claim will continue so long as you continue to improve. The Department calls this “curative” treatment. Once treatment is no longer curative, further treatment is denied. Other terms used are “fixed and stable” or “maximum medical improvement.” The Department or self-insured employer may move your claim toward closure when you are no longer getting better.

No treatment is covered after the date the claim is closed. If the closing order becomes “final and binding,” meaning there was no protest within 60 days, then you must submit a reopening application. You will need to prove worsening or aggravation of your condition. If you cannot prove by medical opinion that your condition has measurably worsened since claim closure, your claims manager will deny your reopening application by order.

If you have had treatment denied or your reopening application denied, please call us. We would be glad to review your claim file. Remember that you only have 60 days from the date of any unfavorable order to take a written protest or appeal. Take action before it is too late.

Our clients are saying:

“I just wanted to reiterate how excited we are for how everything worked out in this fight for a lifetime pension. We are very grateful for all the hard work you and Patrick have put in working on this case for such a long time and being able to prevail! That you very much again!”


“Words cannot express how grateful we are for your help in our L&I case. I am confident we could not have secured better representation.”


“I want to let you know that I truly appreciate all the efforts you put into ensuring that I received what is due to me. I really thank you for your thoughtfulness, care and kind words.”


“There are no words to express my gratitude for all the help you have given me during this part of my journey over the many years. The Walthew Law Firm lawyers and office people are the very best.”


Call us today.
Offices in Seattle and Everett.

Talk to an attorney to get free advice about your claim.


Mailing Address
PO Box 34645
Seattle, WA 98124-1645
*Packages and overnight deliveries should be shipped to the Seattle physical address.

Seattle Office
3000 1st Avenue
Seattle, WA 98121

Everett Office
2906 Colby Ave | Suite 101
Everett, WA 98201

Request an appointment

Schedule a free consultation >